Friday, March 28, 2014

Which Courses Count for High School Credit if Taken in 8th Grade?

The information below is information that I've gathered from various sources, and I list which source the information came from, but please always CONFIRM information for yourself, AND make sure it is CURRENT. The best way to do this is to consult with the admissions officers at the colleges you're interested in your child attending. I would also suggest getting everything in writing. Keep records of who you talked with, the date that you talked, and exactly what was said.

According to Ruth Martin: ( I attended her High School and Beyond Seminar.)
1. Latin
2. Algebra I
3. Physical Science
4. etc.

According to Scholars Guild Requirements: (Taken from Scholars Guild Academy High School Transcript Service Handbook, 2013-2014, pg.. 6)
1. Algebra I
2. Physical Science
3. PE/Health
4. Foreign Language
5. Introductory Logic
6. Other courses may qualify

According to University System of Georgia: (Taken from USG's Staying on Course PDF)
1. Physical Science
2. Foreign Language (The PDF actually says if it's taken in "middle school" it counts.

According to Angela Paul: (Shared with permission to quote)
"It really depends. Typically Algebra I, physical science (if they used a high school not middle school text). Maybe a foreign language, but I would still encourage 2 additional years. Typically colleges do not want to see that it took a student 5 years to complete the CPC. Often if a student takes, for instance, geometry, Algebra II, Precalc, AP Calc AB, we are not going to bother putting Algebra 1 on the transcript. We want to show the most rigor."

Georgia DOE:
 
4. COURSE CREDIT. 
 
(i) Unit credit shall be awarded only for courses that include concepts and skills based on the Georgia Performance Standards (GPS) or Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS) for grades 9-12 or those approved by the State Board of Education. Unit credit may be awarded for courses offered in the middle grades that meet 9-12 GPS or CCGPS requirements. The Individualized Education Program (IEP), if applicable, shall specify whether core courses taken as part of an IEP shall receive core unit credit. 
 
(ii) No course credit may be awarded for courses in which instruction is based on the GPS for grades K-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Blog design by The Cutest Blog On The Block
© 2012 ~ 2014 Home Sweet Home Education. All rights reserved.