Wednesday, March 12, 2014

POTENTIAL MATH & SCIENCE TRACKS

Math Pre-requisites-
Math 7 before Physical Science
Algebra I before Chemistry
Algebra I & Geometry w/ basic Trig. functions before Physics (Traditional or typical Geometry courses will cover basic or introductory level Trigonometry. Ex: MUS or Chalk Dust, etc.)
Algebra II before Advanced Chemistry
Pre-Calculus before Advanced Physics

*There are no Math Pre-requisites for: General Science, Biology, Marine Biology & Advanced Biology
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

General Science is not a required course. Other possible courses to consider:
Apologia’s Young Explorer books: Anatomy and Physiology or Chemistry and Physics
BJU Press’ books: Life Science or Earth Science

Physical Science and Algebra I *may* count as high school credit when taken in 8th grade.
*Check with potential colleges to confirm this information.

Science Requirements: (According to USG's "college prep curriculum") 4 units of science that include two courses with a laboratory component:
1. Physical Science or Physics
2. Biology with Lab
3. Chemistry with Lab or Earth Systems, Environmental Science or an Advanced Placement (AP)course
4. Fourth Science: Forensic Science, Marine Biology, Advanced Biology: The Human Body, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Physics, AP Computer Science A, etc.

Math Requirements: (According to USG's "college prep curriculum") 4 units of math in specific subject areas:
1. Algebra I
2. Geometry
3. Algebra II
4. a fourth year of advanced math or equivalent courses.

The following tracks are simply possibilities. Please keep in mind that these are not the only tracks to choose from. Stay within the USG guidelines but mix things up however you need to in order to provide the best education for each of your children. Keep in mind a few things:
1. You may choose to take Algebra I and Algebra II and then Geometry as opposed to Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II.
2. You may take either Physical Science or Physics or both for high school credit.
3. You don't have to take Chemistry. You may consider Earth Systems, Environmental Science or an AP course.
4. You may choose to take Human Anatomy and Physiology or any other fourth course instead of Marine Biology. USG's Staying On Course PDF has a page full of fourth sciences to choose from!
5. If you're planning on Forensics as a fourth science, depending on the course/curriculum, it may be best to have already taken Chemistry and Human Anatomy and Physiology prior to taking Forensics.

 
Track 1:
7th- Math 7 & Elementary/Middle School Science

8th- Pre-Algebra & General Science

9th- Algebra I & Physical Science

10th- Geometry & Biology

11th- Algebra II & Marine Biology

12th- Statistics & Chemistry


Track 2:
7th- Math 7 & Elementary/Middle School Science

8th- Pre-Algebra & General Science

9th- Algebra I & Physical Science

10th- Geometry & Biology

11th- Algebra II & Chemistry

12th- Statistics & Marine Biology


Track 3:
7th- Math 7 & Elementary/Middle School Science

8th- Pre-Algebra & General Science

9th- Algebra I & Physical Science

10th- Geometry & Biology

11th- Algebra II & Chemistry

12th- Pre-Calc/Trig or Statistics & Physics


Track 4:
7th- Math 7 & General Science

8th- Pre-Algebra & Physical Science

9th- Algebra I & Biology

10th- Geometry & Chemistry

11th- Algebra II & Physics

12th- Pre-Calc/Trig or Statistics & an Advanced Science


Track 5:
7th- Math 7 & General Science

8th- Pre-Algebra & Physical Science

9th- Algebra I & Biology

10th- Geometry & Marine Biology

11th- Algebra II & Chemistry

12th- Pre-Calculus & Physics


Track 6:
7th- Pre-Algebra & General Science

8th- Algebra I & Physical Science

9th- Geometry & Biology

10th- Algebra II & Marine Biology

11th- Pre-Calculus/Trig & Chemistry

12th- Statistics and/or Calculus and Physics


Track 7:
7th- Saxon Math 8/7 & Physical Science

8th- Saxon Algebra ½ (Pre-Algebra) & Biology

9th- Algebra I & Marine Biology

10th- Geometry & Chemistry

11th- Algebra II & Physics

12th- Pre-Calc/Trig or Statistics & an Advanced Science


Track 8:
7th- Pre-Algebra & Physical Science

8th- Algebra I & Biology

9th- Geometry & Marine Biology

10th- Algebra II & Chemistry

11th- Pre-Calc/Trig & Physics

12th- Statistics and/or Calculus and an Advanced Science


Track 9:
7th- Pre-Algebra & Physical Science

8th- Algebra I & Biology

9th- Geometry & Chemistry

10th- Algebra II & Physics

11th- Pre-Calc/Trig and an Advanced Science

12th- Statistics and/or Calculus and an Advanced Science

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Blog design by The Cutest Blog On The Block
© 2012 ~ 2014 Home Sweet Home Education. All rights reserved.